Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Pictureless Post

Can it be that we would compose a post without a picture of Talia? Yes, we must disappoint.

I have a question and I would love to have a response from any of my blogging buddies. I will share the answer shortly. Here it goes:

What do the jungles of Africa and the remote deserts of Mexico have that we don't in our lovely town? Yes, we do have poisonous snakes and insects. Any other guesses?!

The content of this post and an update on our lives depends on one of you coming through with an answer (a bogus answer would suffice).

In the mean time, I will fill you in on some recent events in our family.

In an effort to unify our family, Jon and I decided to become more like Talia. No, we don't spit up more. No, we don't cry when we go potty. No, we aren't trying to become pleasantly plump. No, we aren't trying to become cuter (Jon has already reached the human limit). Yes, we decided to cut our hair. Talia now has the longest hair in the family. Okay, if you believe that I'll make you a deal on a really nice bridge. Let me try again. Talia now has longer hair than Daddy, but still has shorter hair than Mommy. Why cut our hair?

For Jon:

I like it better (hair just covers up his handsome face, in my opinion).

He doesn't have to do anything with it (not even brush it, at this length).

For Me:

Postpartum shed. It reduces the mass of hair that is already falling out of my head.

It has been a year. I had to suffer the embarrassment of revealing to the hairdresser that it had been that long.

Talia. Now I know why so many moms cut their hair shorter. For me it is three large doses of spit up (daily) and the multiple showers that accompany them, in addition to the adorable hands that love to hold Mommy's hair and not let go.

Okay, okay: I'll admit it. I don't want to have to do anything with my hair either! I look forward to less brushing and detangling.


So, now Jon's hair is less than an inch and my hair has lost more than a foot of length.

Enough on hair.

How about health?

We will talk about our ailments (I hear a collective groan, but you don't have to read this). Jon, Talia, and I received vaccines yesterday. We went to Talia's new doctor for her 2 month appointment. We were sad that Talia could not continue with Dr. Dobbins, but Kaiser will save us a few thousand dollars a year (big money now that I am not working). Talia got three shots and an oral vaccine. I think Mommy and Daddy endured more pain watching the ordeal than Talia initially experienced. She had the benefit of not dreading this appointment (ignorance is bliss). Talia was drowsy and has been running a low grade fever (for which we have given her Tylenol, per doctors orders). She is still sweet as can be, talking, smiling, and licking her lips (grape medicine is very much too her liking, once she gets past the initial shock). The doctor offered the flu mist vaccine to Jon and me. She felt it was another way to protect Talia (and it was free, painless, and took only a couple minutes). We accepted. Jon has had no ill effects. I have had a bad headache and a mild throat ache. Like mother, like daughter, I, too, am drugged. That is my excuse for the strange nature of this post.

I would like to update you on another exciting happening in our lives, but I will wait until we have a brave soul answer my question. I hope it is you!

And the brave soul is . . . Nikki!! Yay!

The answer: High speed internet. Apparently, there are wi fi hot spots in some African jungles, remote Mexican deserts (I saw a picture of a sign verifying this information in PC World magazine), and along the Amazon. Yet, we are among the less than 10% of Americans (this stat is more than 3 years old) that do not have access to high speed internet. But, as of a couple weeks ago, we have left the company of citizens in the bayous that still do not have telephone access and communities in the Appalicians whose technological advances make 19th century technology look like futuristic inventions from a science fiction novel. We now have access to high speed internet!!! Naturally, the day Jon discovered this, he signed us up. The technician came out yesterday and we are enjoying the amazing speed with which we can access websites and download/upload pictures and movies.

This brings about another exciting change for us. Jon can now work from home (4 of 5 days a week)! We are both thrilled (Talia should be, too, though she doesn't know it yet). Jon ordered a wireless router and card so that he can work anywhere he wants on the property. He will probably set up his office in the sun room. This may also encourage us to continue working on our granny flat project. Our septic system and water storage tank were finished two days after Talia was born. We have been happily preoccupied since then and have not hired a contractor to actually install the bathroom, etc. Jon could have his own nice office until we decide we want to rent the cottage (if we ever do). Jon is planning to start working from home on Friday. I am also looking forward to blogging with fast internet. I am currently on dial up because this dinosaur needs special rigging to connect to DSL. Jon is planning to hook up this computer in the near future.

So, that is our exciting news!

4 comments:

Nikki said...

I would say that the jungles of Africa and the remote deserts of Mexico have plenty of experience with Denge and Malaria. I sure hope you don't there!

I want pictures of the hair cuts!

Jon, Erin, Talia, and Elliana said...

My sister comes through! Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

I am sure (and sure glad) you are right.

So, I got one guess. Since I can no longer contain my excitement, I will continue with the post.

Jon, Erin, Talia, and Elliana said...

As to the pictures, I am sure we might appear in some future pictures of Talia ;).

Nikki said...

Yay! That sounds great! I know both the ups and downs of working from home... I hope Jon makes it work well! :D