Saturday, December 8, 2007

Patience Pays Off

Several days ago I wrote about our spontaneous decision making. Today I will write about a more common occurrence, a long discussed and well planned decision. The title includes the word "patience," which in our case is more accurately a euphemism for the word "procrastination."

Prior to the impending arrival of Talia, we owned a total of two pieces of new furniture. They were: a $40 file cabinet and a $25 dollar bed frame. The rest of our house (and granny flat) was filled with Salvation Army, estate sale, and hand-me-down pieces from family members including parents, grandparents, my sister, and even a great uncle. Those of you who have been to our house know that we have decorated in "early college style," to quote my mom. We do not particularly like this style (especially me), but it fit the budget.

When we discovered that we were expecting, we felt that we finally had an excuse to spend some of the money we had saved (in addition to diapers, clothes, toys, groceries, doctor bills, etc.). We bought a crib, armour, and changing table. We couldn't have our sweet baby crawling around on carpet that had outlived two previous owners, so we finally purchased the carpet we had talked about since we bought the house. Our old couch was beyond repair (and I had tried to stitch it back together several times). We had talked about replacing it last year and had even selected a set for our living room. In the time it took to finally decide to buy the set, discuss the ways of getting the set home, and eventually going to the store to buy it, they had sold out. The bad news is we had to keep our old furniture, the good news is that we kept the money in the bank earning 5% and now had the money to buy an even better set. So, here is the old couch and carpet:

Goodbye old couch!

Here is the new couch:

100_1118

Here is the new love seat that replaced the old blue chairs:

100_1120

Here is the new set including the rocker/recliner:

100_1123

All the pieces recline. We figure that five people could take naps in the living room at the same time (Dad will be pleased).

Here are my two favorite people enjoying our new furniture:

100_1140

They say that patience is a virtue, so in our case procrastination must be, too.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Buying furniture can be quite pricey! When I moved into my current apartment I had to buy everything for my bedroom and together with my roommate furnished the living room and office. I am fairly certain that I am still paying for everything, considering that I did not have the luxury of hand-me-downs or saved up money!

Nikki said...

Oh wow. Having been to your place relatively recently (if 6 months ago counts), I must say the transformation is amazing. Very nice!

Jon, Erin, Talia, and Elliana said...

Cheek,

There is no way we could have afforded to buy a house (or apartment) full of new furniture when we first got married. Hand-me-downs have been a blessing in a worn disguise.

Nikki,

Thanks. We are enjoying the look, as well as the comfort, of our new living room.