Thursday, December 6, 2007

Oh Tannenbaum

I chose the name of this post to suit our recent discussions. We have been playing Christmas music daily and talking about lyrics. One such song is, "Oh Tannenbaum." Jon and I don't know the words so we decided to invent them using a short list of the German words that we know. So we get lyrics such as "Oh Tannenbaum, oh tannenbaum, volksvagon vienerschnitzel. Oh Tannenbaum, oh Tannenbaum, volksvagon vienerschnitzel. Eins drie kindergarten Veimar kampf. Miene Gewurztraminer kinder nacht. Oh tannenbaum, oh tannenbaum, volksvagon vienerschitzel." Go ahead, try it out. We mean no disrespect, of course.

Now to a more serious part of our post. On Sunday we went Christmas tree hunting. We have a 300 hundred acre tree farm in our own town. So Jon, Talia, Grandma T., Grandpa T., and I set off on the short drive to Red Feather. It was the perfect day for tree hunting as the weather had finally turned cold. It was also a popular day to go as we saw two families from church and many other families from all over the region. I think this farm is popular because it is one of the closest authentic and large tree farms for those in the Sacramento area. In addition to a variety of trees, Santa, a blazing fire, a small craft faire, spiced cider, and hot cocoa greet visitors. In years past, reindeer have also welcomed us. Here are a few pictures.

Here we are upon arrival.

Talia and Friends

We rode in a covered wagon to a more remote area to tree hunt.

Wagon ride

We found a tree.

Talia found us the perfect tree

Then the three of us cut it down.

Talia cutting down our tree

When the wagon came back for us, we put our tiny tree next to several very tall trees. On the way back we noticed that the cows had come home. We even caught one eating a decorative pumpkin off the porch.

Beef, its what's for Christmas

Talia enjoyed her first sleigh ride.

sleigh ride cropped

Talia felt that it was an exhausting adventure, but well worth it since she now has lots of tiny lights to stare at.

Tired baby

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How delightful!!! I am glad you all had such a great time getting the tree.

And your song made sense to me. You know more German words than I do and I took a year of German in college.

Angie said...

"We road in a..." Cheek! For shame! Actually, it is amazing how often I start to type in a homonym and then catch myself. That's not the right word! Sometimes I think the abundance of bad spelling around me constantly is starting to have a negative influence.

I am glad Talia got to pick her first Christmas tree out and even help to cut it down! Looks like fun. I miss going to tree farms to get a tree!

Jon, Erin, Talia, and Elliana said...

Owe, your sew right! Win reeding over hour blog eye kept feeling that their was something wrong with what eye rote. Road cot my attention. Eye new it was spelled correctly, butt not four what I mint too say. Accept inn this case, eye generally try too reed the hole blog a couple of times to fined errors before posting. Won can knot bee two careful win riding four readers with such grate in sight. Sometimes eye loose cite of this and get hasty. Eye mite ad that my readers due knot halve allusions of me being a grate speller. Butt now that eye am groan eye wood due well too remember that "haste makes waist".

Nikki said...

Erin, you kill me. Love the comment.

Nikki said...

Oh, and Daniel says it is magnificent.